Honors Lab Group Outing

Honors Lab Group Outing

The lab group went for an outing yesterday at Suntec. I thought we enjoyed ourselves much since there was so much boisterous laughter at the dinner table that the 翡翠小厨 waitress had to remind us to lower our volume.

After dinner, the night was spent on the movie, The Prestige. I haven't heard much about the movie before Lijie recommended it to us. In fact, I thought it was quite a boring movie. Man, I was wrong when I read the reviews and I was convinced that it could be the best movie of 2006 after watching it. The movie intrigued me and I could relate to many of the scenes since I was an amatuer magician just a couple of years back. Through my interactions with fellow magicians, I have experienced much of the deceptive nature of magicians, the desire to fool fellow magicians and sometimes the ruthlessness in them.

Here's a short introduction to The Prestige on Yahoo! Movies:

It all begins in rapidly changing, turn-of-the-century London. At a time when magicians are idols and celebrities of the highest order, two young magicians set out to carve their own paths to fame. The flashy, sophisticated Robert Angier is a consummate entertainer, while the rough-edged purist Alfred Borden is a creative genius who lacks the panache to showcase his magical ideas. They start out as admiring friends and partners. But when their biggest trick goes terribly awry, they become enemies for life--each intent on outdoing and upending the other. Trick by trick, show by show, their ferocious competition builds until it knows no bounds, even utilizing the fantastical new powers of electricity and the scientific brilliance of radical inventor Nikola Tesla--while the lives of everyone around them hang in the balance.

Trivial:
  • Nikola Tesla (the electricity-freak physicist) and Thomas Edison (the Inventor) appeared in the movie.
  • The Chinese magician, Chung Ling Soo, is a real magician back in the Victorian Era. He died while performing the bullet catch.
There are lots of twists in the movie which makes you sit on the edge of the seat and the reveal is VERY surprising. The movie is magic at one of its finest and will leave you thinking of the details (just like a good trick will leave you thinking about the secret). I voted 10/10 for this movie on the Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Yes, it's that good. In fact, I am contemplating of watching it the second time to understand some of the finer points which I have missed. Or should I buy the DVD and keep it?

posted byWilliam at 12:38 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment